Thursday, May 31, 2007


A LITTLE ADVICE

Recently, I’ve been visiting Lower School classrooms to speak to students about my leaving. I like to compare it to their moving on to a new grade: the current grade is familiar and interesting, but they know they’re ready for new work – ready to stretch themselves in a different environment with a new mix of classmates. My own situation is similar: part of me would love to continue at LREI where I have many friends and interests and where the work is always new and exciting; another stronger part is excited by the challenges of a new career.

In the course of these conversations with the Fourth Graders, students asked specific questions about my future plans. I told them I could use their help – that I knew I wanted to work with children, either in connection with the arts or in a field that allows me to support children who have few opportunities. When I asked Fourth Graders for their advice, many of them felt that working with less advantaged children was the right choice because "it’s not fair". Others had these suggestions:
  • I was thinking… maybe you could start a greeting card company because of the way you always greet us in the morning.
  • Well, if you do art, let the kids have a free day so they can use their own ideas some of the time.
  • I really enjoy Morning Meeting, so I was thinking you could start a mini-newspaper to tell people what’s going on in the world.
  • You should do something you’re really good at.
  • It’s kind of like choosing a book – you should do something that’s just right, not too hard.
    You should do something you really enjoy!
  • Do you like movies? Maybe you could be a movie critic, then you’d see a lot of them.
  • Maybe you should do something off the beaten path – like teach water skiing.
  • I think you should be a feelings teacher.
  • Yeah, because you always help people with their problems. (One time I came into your office, I was rambling and raving—I didn’t even know what I meant, but YOU did!)
  • Or you could write a book about being a principal at the Little Red School House.
  • You could call it, "The Joy of a Problem."

Elaine


This Week's Attachments:

Fours

Early Kindergarten

Second Grade

Gay Pride March


This Week's Announcements:

Library Books:
All library books are due tomorrow, Friday, June 1st.

Gwen and Dave's Fourth Grade Play:
Gwen and Dave's Fourth Grade will perform The Great Kapok Tree on Wednesday, June 6th at 8:50 in the auditorium. We will have coffee and student books about rainforest animals available for review in the auditorium by 8:30. These books may also be viewed on June 1st from 8-9 in our classroom.

In the Upcoming Weeks:

6/4- Luise and Michelle's Kindergarten Picnic, 6:00PM

6/6- Fours and EK Movement Assembly, 8:45AM, Big Room

6/7- Diane and Lisa's Early Kindergarten Picnic, 6:00PM

6/11- Fourth Grade Moving Up Ceremony, 9:00AM, Auditorium

6/11- Suzanne and Caroline's Fourth Grade Picnic, 6:00PM

6/12- Last day of school, 12:00 dismissal (11:45 Early Childhood)